I had a wonderful day in Santorini, Greece today. I flew in on a little puddle jumper from Athens and arrived around 7:30am. I met my connection to the hotel, but was a little early for my room so I was sent out to explore the city of Fira, the capital, for a couple of hours. Leftcais, the hotel manager sat me down with a map and circled all the places I should see and I was off. First I followed the streets up to the city center and then found the donkey trail that leads down the side of the cliff to the old port city below. The trail is very steep almost 700 steps down switch backs. About 2/3rds of the way down I slipped on the polished rocks and really twisted my knee. What bad luck! I hobbled down the rest of the way and limped around the old port city then took the cable car back up to the top. I limped back to the hotel and got some ice and sat in the lobby until my room was ready. Bummer! Once I got settled in my room, I took my last 3 ibuprofen. After about a half and hour I felt a little better and needed to get some things that I was missing from not having my checked bag yet so I set out for town again. I was able to find almost everything I needed, but I also needed to exchange some money so I went to the bank. This was the most inefficient torcherous part of my day. I had to take a number and stand in line for a half hour or so and when I finally got up to the counter I found out that you can't exchange money without your passport. Whatever. My leg was killing me by then so I hobbled back to the hotel, got some more ice and laid down for a few more minutes trying not to fall asleep. I was so tired from getting up at 3:30am this morning to catch my flight. After a while I got up, struck out again, found another bank and they were closed. Who knew the banks close at 2:00pm? I got my self a delicious chicken giro and people watched for a while, scoped out the bus schedule for tomorrow and headed back to the hotel to sit by the pool with more ice. Tomorrow I am going to the beach.
I hope you didn't hurt your knee too badly. feel better soon, the beach will help ;)
ReplyDelete