Friday, August 9, 2013

Day 4 in Santorini

What a fine, last day it was in the Greek isles. I hiked up the streets to the Greek Orthodox Cathedral and enjoyed that one more time. I sat out side on a bench and ate my waffle and orange and listened to a couple playing traditional Greek music while I people watched for a few minutes. Then I hiked all the way up to the Catholic Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist and spent a some time enjoying the beauty of that building. It seems that the Cathedral is 200 years old. I walked around and found another chapel that was opened and went in for a few minutes. Then I followed the streets around and took some pictures of the city from up above. Next I went to the Museum of Antiquities and walked through the exhibits there. It is crazy to try to think about people living so long ago and to see how civilized they were. Thousands of years before Christ. They may not have had all our modern conveniences, but they certainly were civilized.

At 2:00 my time in Santorini was over. I had my bags packed and ready to go. My driver took me to the airport and I caught a flight to Athens. Funny thing happened in Athens, when I went to check in my reservation didn't come up, but Jon's did. I went up to the counter to check in and they told me that my reservation was cancelled, but Jon could still travel. PROBLEM! I called Jon on the phone. What had he done? He was in Istanbul waiting for me, but I wasn't coming now. The agent at the counter kept telling me to wait and see and sending me off to come back later. I would show back up 15 or 30 minutes later and each time she would say nothing yet. I guess they were trying to figure out what happened when Jon called and cancelled his reservation and what to do with me now. I swear, I have the worse trouble. So at 6:20 I went up to the counter for the last time and the agent said I would have to buy a new ticket. WHAT? Fine, can she sell it to me? No. I have to run, literally, to the ticket counter, buy an new ticket and then come back and check in. With all that done. I ran to passport control and then ran to security and then ran to my gate and got on the plane. My leg was killing me.

What is next for me?

In Istanbul everything went smooth. I got through VISA, passport control, picked up my bag and met Jon. Hooray!! We had a nice dinner and then waited for our flight. At 2:45am we arrived in Erbil, took a taxi to the apartment and tried to settle down and get some sleep. It is soooooooo Hot here!
Today is the Holy Day so we are taking it easy. We had Sunday School together and will have Sacrament meeting with the Bagdad Branch at 7:00pm.

Tomorrow I need to go to the market. There is no food in this apartment.

Pictures from Saint John the Baptist Cathedral.








Little side church



 The City of Fira from above. The Old Port city below.


 Wall Mosaics from the 17th Century BC.

 Pottery exhibits in the Museum of Antiquities at Santorini.



Stone floor mosaics that can be seen all over the city. Nice, but very slippery.

No comments:

Post a Comment