Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Bread Store

Today was a nice spring day in Iraq. It was actually a holiday. Kids were out of school and government offices were closed. It is the day that celebrates the liberation of Baghdad by the Americans. That is cool. I was with Walter and Peggy in Ankawa looking for that elusive golden contact when we passed by the bread store. The bakers waved us in and posed for us to take pictures. They were very friendly and kind but only spoke Arabic. Ankawa is the Christian district and mostly Iraqi Christians live here. A lot of Christians have had to leave Iraq proper and move to Ankawa, Kurdistan to be safe.


For 1000 IQD (Iraqi Dinar) you can get 8 pieces of bread. That is about 75 cents USD. It is fresh and hot from the oven all day long. The piece they gave me was so hot I could not pick it up but it was totally delicious.  


They had two ovens cooking bread today. You can see the bread on the side of the one oven cooking. 


This gentleman was taking the dough and then he would put it on the semi circle form to flatten it before it went into the oven.


You can almost see him flattening out the dough.


This is the largest mixer I have ever seen. I am sure this dough is for the dinner rush at about 6 o'clock.


Hot and ready.


Bread for sale.


Another day in Kurdistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment